Saturday, February 19, 2011

Raspberry Jumblies

If you read this blog with any regularity, you know I love a good bar cookie.  Crisp and crumbly, soft and chewy--I love them all.  They come together easily, bake all in one pan, and travel well.

When I was in high school, I would bake standard chocolate chip cookie dough into bars to take along to quiz bowl tournaments.  I'm sure that the Sacred Heart girls would have won the state championship regardless, but it was nice to give those Episcopal School of Acadiana boys a little extra distraction.

Several years ago, I came across a recipe that reminded me of those quiz bowl days.  Raspberry Jumbles were basically the same cookie I'd been making, but with the addition of a layer of raspberry jam.  They quickly became known as "jumblies" (think Austin Powers) and have been a house favorite ever since.

To make jumblies, you'll need about two cups of chocolate chip cookie dough (about a half-batch of a standard scratch recipe or one log of slice-and-bake) and about a quarter of a cup of raspberry jam. 

Here's what you do:

Preheat oven to 350 and spray an 8-inch square pan with non-stick spray.
Spread about 1 1/2 cups of dough in the pan.
Spread jam over dough.
Spoon remaining dough over jam.


Bake 25-30 minutes, until center is just set.


They're sort of thumbprint meets toll house.  And much like brownies, the corners and edges are the best part.  They also look nice, all jumbl(i)ed up.  Take your chocolate chip cookies on a new adventure and...

Keep it sweet. Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment