Monday, November 1, 2010

The Apple Bakes Again

In addition to apple crisp, no fall is complete without an apple cake.  For me, the perfect apple cake is more apple than anything else.  It's also nutty, cinnamony, and beyond moist.  Fortunately, I have just such a recipe.

The Apple Walnut Cake from my dear friends at (surprise) Epicurious.com is fabulous and seriously easy to make.  You don't even need a mixer!


2 cups diced peeled tart green apples (such as Granny Smith; about 1 1/2 large)
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted, cooled
1 large egg
1 1/4 cups all purpose flour
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup coarsely chopped walnuts

Preheat oven to 375°F. Butter and flour 8x8x2-inch baking pan. Mix diced apples, sugar, butter and egg in large bowl to blend. Sift flour, cinnamon, baking soda and salt over. Add chopped walnuts; mix thoroughly.  Transfer mixture to prepared pan.  Bake until cake is brown and crusty on top and tester inserted into center comes out clean, about 45 minutes. Cool cake in pan on rack.

Literate Baker notes:  I like to make the full batter, then fold in the apples and walnuts.


There are so many apples and the batter is so thick that it's a bit difficult to spread in the pan.  Have no fear; as the apples soften and release their juices, everything comes together like magic.


I warn you, this will make your entire house smell like apples and cinnamon.  I cannot be held accountable if you eat the entire thing immediately.  I can suggest making a double batch.  I did.  I love a piece right out of the oven.  I love putting the leftovers in the fridge and eating them for breakfast.  Not that I'm looking to relive Monday morning or anything, but, um, is it time for breakfast?

Keep it sweet.
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment