Wednesday, January 26, 2011

The Savory Baker

I'd like to say that I'm adhering to my New Year's resolution of moderation.  More accurately, the start of the semester and other pressures have put a damper on my energy and inspiration for baking of late.  I have not forgotten you, dear readers, and promise all manner of tasty adventures in February.  After all, Mardi Gras, she is a'coming.

In the meantime, I will share one of my favorite non-dessert things to bake: vegetables.  Now, while they are not cheese, chocolate, or bread, vegetables are pretty awesome.  There are few I've met that I don't like.  Roasted, they're even better.

Most veggies that are not leafy greens like olive oil and a super hot oven.  Some of my favorites include squash (summer or winter), root vegetables, sweet peppers, and brussels sprouts.  This week, I did a mix of red onions, green peppers, zucchini, and eggplant.  All you need is a 1-inch chop; salt, pepper, and olive oil; and a 400-degree oven.  30-40 minutes, stirring a couple of times during the process.



These babies are fabulous warm or cold.  They are great alone, lovely with pasta, irresistible on a sandwich (cheese recommended, meat not required).  The only drawback?  A seriously stuck-on sheet pan.


Hint: an overnight soak in soapy water will do most of the work for you.

I do hope that you're all doing well and keeping warm this chilly January.  Chocolate love to come soon.  In the meantime...


Keep it sweet. Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment