Monday, March 14, 2011

Happy Pi Day

I love a culinary pun as much as the next person.  What am I saying?  I love a culinary pun a lot more than the average person, I'm sure.  Which is why I love Pi Day. 

For anyone not in the know, pi (a.k.a. π) is the relationship between a circle's circumference and its diameter,  roughly 3.14.  It is celebrated, of course, on March 14th (a.k.a. 3/14).  In addition to pastry pun fun, Pi Day reminds me of those long ago days when I was a stellar math student.  It's also a perfect excuse to bake and eat pie.  What's not to love?

Pi Day is being celebrated all over the place.  At the University of Rochester (my Alma mater), there are lectures a-go-go by professors of mathematics, physics, and chemistry.  There's also a fun little feature on the website that makes note of the potential of double pies on June 28, since we so often note circumference as 2πr.  I love the way they think; my calendar is already marked!

But let's not get ahead of ourselves.  What pie is worthy of the occasion?  Chocolate cream?  Bourbon pecan?  Lemon meringue?  Oh, I'm getting hungry just thinking about it!  Okay.  Deep breath.  Focus.

It is a weeknight, so I really shouldn't be too ambitious.  I also don't want to go to the store.  Hmmm...  I do have some Fluff leftover from the holiday fudge.  And lots of graham crackers.  We all know how much I love a good s'more.  And my mini blow torch. 


Are you thinking what I'm thinking?  Oh, I do hope you're thinking s'more pie!

1 graham cracker crust
6 ounces milk chocolate
1/2 cup heavy cream 
2 cups Fluff (give or take, please don't try to actually measure Fluff!)
1/4 teaspoon sea salt

Place chocolate and cream in a heat-proof bowl.  Microwave in 30-second increments, stirring after each, until melted and smooth.  Cool to room temperature.  Whip with an electric mixer until light and fluffy.  Spread in crust. 


Top with Fluff.  With a small kitchen torch, lightly brown top.  (You could also do this with a couple of minutes under the broiler.)  Sprinkle the sea salt over the top. 


To slice, run a knife under hot water prior to each cut.

Now, before you say anything, I know.  My Pi Day pie is technically a tart.  Apparently, I only have one pie plate and it's at a friend's house.  Forgive me for cheating and for only owning one pie plate.  I promise I won't let it happen again. 
Anyway, this pie is seriously rich.  Yet, the butteryness of the crust and the hint of salt keep it from being too sweet.  This is definitely a s'more all grown up.  If it wasn't 30 degrees out, I might be in the mood to go camping.
Hope your Pi Day has been delicious.  When it comes to 3.14, keep it round...
Keep it sweet.

Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment