Sunday, January 15, 2012

Pound It Out

 
One of the things I served with my chocolate fondue was pound cake.  Pound cake is one of those things I never thought I liked because I'd only been exposed to mass-produced, freezer-case varieties.  You know, not terrible, but more utilitarian than tasty.  For something with as many calories as pound cake, it should be, at the very least, tasty.

So I went looking for a recipe that had that magical combination of good reviews and lots of sour cream. Lo and behold, I found Grandmother Paula's Sour Cream Pound Cake. (Leave it to Paula Deen to use a cup of butter AND a cup of sour cream.)

Ingredients
1/2 pound (2 sticks) butter
3 cups sugar
1 cup sour cream
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
3 cups all-purpose flour
6 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla

Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.

In a large mixing bowl, cream the butter and sugar together. Add the sour cream and mix until incorporated. Sift the baking soda and flour together. Add to the creamed mixture alternating with eggs, beating each egg 1 at a time. Add the vanilla and pour the mixture into a greased and floured 10-inch tube pan. Bake for 1 hour 20 minutes.

The batter is surprisingly light.

Literate Baker notes:  I used two loaf pans since I was looking to cut my cake into cubes.  I also used a tablespoon of vanilla and a splash of almond extract.


The cake is rich and dense, but not too dense.  It holds its shape well for dunking.  It would be lovely with tea, or covered in berries.  I've thus far resisted the temptation to make a grilled cheesecake sandwich with the leftovers.  There are, however, about four slices yet to be eaten, so we'll have to wait and see.  Now that I have it in my brain and have to stop at the store on my way home and know that my store sells cheesecake by the slice, I'm thinking resistance is futile.  Resistance is overrated anyway, especially when it comes to all things that...

Keep it sweet. Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment