Tuesday, September 25, 2012

So Long, Summer!

It's fall; I'm giddy.  This is no surprise to any of you.  I know.  I know some of you are with me and some of you are rolling your eyes and fantasizing about being somewhere tropical.  I'm not subtle and neither are you. 

Anyway.  It's fall.  But before I launch into all thinks apple-pumpkin-warm-spicy-good, I'll bid adieu to summer with a sweet homage to my favorite summer fruits.  I give you... the peach and blueberry crumble.  Sweet and tart and crispy and juicy and so, so lovely with vanilla ice cream.  The recipe from Barefoot Contessa was my inspiration, but I tweaked a bit.  Here's my version:

Peach and Blueberry Crumble

For the fruit:
2 pounds firm, ripe peaches (6 to 8 peaches)
2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
1/3 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
2 cups fresh blueberries

For the crumble:
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup light brown sugar, lightly packed
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 pound (1 stick) cold unsalted butter, diced

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Peel the peaches, slice them into thick wedges, and place them in a large bowl. Add the lemon juice, sugar, and flour. Toss well. Gently mix in the blueberries. Allow the mixture to sit for 5 minutes. Spoon the mixture into ramekins or custard cups.

For the topping, combine the flour, granulated sugar, brown sugar, salt, cinnamon, and the butter in a bowl. Rub the mixture with your fingertips until it's in big crumbles, then sprinkle evenly over the fruit. Place the ramekins on a sheet pan lined with parchment paper and bake for 40 to 45 minutes, until the tops are browned and crisp and the juices are bubbly. Serve warm with vanilla ice cream.

Literate Baker notes:  I kept mostly true to Ina's recipe.  I used less sugar and more blueberries in the filling and eliminated lemon zest because I didn't want it to taste lemony.  I eliminated cinnamon from the topping for the same reason.

How much do you love square ramekins?
Bubbly good.  Don't forget the parchment paper!
Yes, that's homemade ice cream.  But that's another post.

Of course, I'm sure you now want these and peaches and blueberries are no longer in season.  Sorry.  I hear frozen fruit makes a pretty good crumble.  I'd allow it to thaw and drain off any excess liquid, maybe add a touch more flour.  Or you could do what I'm going to do--go pick apples and make an apple crisp.  As I said, it's fall, my favorite time of year to...

Keep it sweet.


Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment