Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Hubig's: How a Pie Can Tell the Story of a Place and More

If you grew up in New Orleans, or within a hundred mile radius of it, you know Hubig's Pies.  From gas stations to supermarkets to po-boy shops, these little fried pies have been a staple in Southern Louisiana since 1922.  My favorite was always lemon, though people swear by the sweet potato variety that only came out during the holidays.


After Hurricane Katrina, Hubig's closed for about two months.  When the bakery reopened and deliveries to local retailers resumed, the pies were a sign of the determination and resiliency of New Orleans and its people.

This July, Hubig's was destroyed in a fire.  I remember that the entire week following the fire, my Facebook feed was filled with headlines, memories, and hopes for rebuilding.  The story even made the New York Times

I find myself thinking of Hubig's this week.  I think I might be feeling a little homesick.  It's also the busiest time of year at my day job, so my snack radar is on in a serious way.  Both of those are telling--the way a food can be a simple pleasure and yet so much more.  It can conjure up a place or a time, a person or a whole community.

Despite the total loss, Hubig's has every intention of reopening.  They're using proceeds from their online store to help in the process.  If you love being part of a comeback story, or if you're just a serious "Pielover," you should check it out.  Support your local bakers and always...

Keep it sweet.


Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment