Friday, August 3, 2012

Peach Cobbler Redux

Summer in a bowl.
One of my very fist blog posts was about peach cobbler.  It remains one of my favoritist summer treats.  When I walk into the produce department and I am treated to the aroma of fresh, ripe peaches, I know it is time.  That happened last week.  I bought them, I baked them, and the entire pan was gone in under 24 hours.  As it should be.

If you read that post, you'll recall that, for me, peach cobbler is unlike any other fruit cobbler or crisp or crumble.  I didn't include the recipe then, and I've had some requests for it.  Here you go:

Peach Cobbler

4 c. peeled and sliced fresh peaches (5-6 medium)
1 1/2 c. sugar, divided
3/4 c. flour
1/4 tsp. salt
2 tsp. baking powder
3/4 c. milk
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 stick (8 T) butter

Preheat oven to 350F.
Combine peaches and 1/2 cup sugar.  Set aside.  Combine remaining cup of sugar, flour, salt, and baking powder.  In a separate bowl, combine milk and vanilla.  Add the wet to the dry and whisk to combine.


Place butter in a shallow 3-quart or 9x13 glass baking dish.  (Do not use a smaller dish.  The ingredients will fit, the final product will fit, but the bubbling half-baked goo will not.  It will leave you with a kitchen full of smoke and a heart full of regret.) Place in oven until butter is melted.


Carefully remove dish from oven and pour in batter.


Spoon peaches over batter. Do not be alarmed by how unappealing it looks.


Bake 60-70 minutes until bubbly and golden brown.

 
It's like magic.  Buttery, sweet, crispy-yet-soft-yet-gooey magic.  Magic that goes so well with vanilla bean ice cream.  Magic that you want to eat for breakfast.  Magic that you should eat for breakfast. (The leftovers warm nicely in the microwave.  It's better for you than a donut, right?)  Day or night, it will most definitely...

Keep it sweet.





Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment