Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Baking Haiku

I'm not a very good poet.  This may be because I write it only when I feel incredibly morose.  It may also be because my brain gets iambic pentameter, but doesn't get iambic pentameter.  My friend Leslie's ability to write a sonnet on command fills me with a mixture of jealousy and awe.

The exception to this is haiku.  I've always had a soft spot for haiku.  Seventeen syllables strung together in ways that would make Yoda proud, haiku has the ability to be profound or absurd; it can speak about deep human truths or twinkies.  Sometimes, it can accomplish all of that at the same time.  In that spirit, I've decided the world could use a few more haiku about baking...

Melted chocolate,
sugar, butter, pinch of flour:
the torte of my dreams.

Perfectly chewy.
Aspirational cookie,
elude me no more.

My overfilled pans
bubble, spill; batter ignites.
Smoked delicacy?

Warm chocolate chip,
This is cookie seduction.
She smiles, says, "I baked."

Okay, so these may not move your soul, but that doesn't make them any less fun.  If you haven't dabbled in haiku, give it a try.  (The only hard and fast rule is that you write three lines of five, seven, and five syllables.)  If you have, share one of your favorites with me.  Play with your words, play with your food, and always....


Keep it sweet. Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment