Thursday, September 30, 2010

Plum Prints

I had an order for decorated sugar cookies this week.  (Happy 95th Birthday, Helen!)  Anytime I make cutout cookies, I use the No Fail Sugar Cookie recipe from Cake Central

6 cups flour
3 tsp. baking powder
2 cups unsalted butter
2 cups sugar (white granulated)
2 eggs
2 tsp. vanilla extract or desired flavoring (I like almond myself)
1 tsp. salt

Instructions

  1. Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. 
  2. Add eggs and vanilla. Mix well. 
  3. Mix dry ingredients and add a little at a time to butter mixture. Mix until flour is completely incorporated and the dough comes together.
  4. Chill for 1 to 2 hours.
  5. Roll to desired thickness and cut into desired shapes. Bake on ungreased baking sheet at 350 degrees for 8 to 10 minutes or until just beginning to turn brown around the edges. 
  6. This recipe can make up to 5-dozen 3” cookies.
Literate Baker notes:  I use a full tablespoon of vanilla and a teaspoon of almond extract.  Also, the baking time depends greatly on the size and shape of the cutter used.  Mine take up to 14 minutes to bake.

In addition to cutouts, I use this dough as the base for thumbprint cookies.  Since I had a little bit of dough left over and lots and lots of plum jam in the fridge (see Jam On It), I decided to make a few. 

Given the syrupy nature of my jam, I should have anticipated the ooze factor.  I did not.  For the record, these things stuck to the nothing-sticks-to-it parchment paper.  Seriously.  They were, however, extremely tasty.  Since I only managed to use up about two tablespoons of jam, I'll probably be going back to my usual Nutella/lemon curd/raspberry filling next time.  And continuing to look for things on which to slather plum jam.  Not a bad past time, really, for one always looking to...


Keep it sweet. Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment