Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Next Best Thing to a Raspberry Beret

I'd like a raspberry beret.  I would probably look absurd, but I'd like one nonetheless.  I'll refrain from making a joke about it being warm and not wearing much more.  (You're welcome.)

But, alas, I have no raspberry beret.  What I do have is a really good raspberry filling recipe that I'll share with you.  (You're welcome.)

Good-on-Everything Raspberry Filling

12 oz frozen raspberries
3/4 cup sugar
1 cup water, divided
1 T lemon juice
4 T cornstarch
1 T raspberry liqueur

Bring raspberries, sugar, 2/3 cup water, and lemon juice to almost a boil in a small saucepan.  Strain through a fine mesh strainer, pressing to extract as much liquid/pulp as possible.*  Return mixture to saucepan.  Add cornstarch that has been dissolved in remaining 1/3 cup water.  Stir constantly over medium-low heat until mixture is thickened and just bubbling.  Remove from heat and add liqueur.

*You may add a few of the seeds back in if you like the texture.  You may also put the seeds out in your backyard; this will make for very happy birds, squirrels, and chipmunks.

The flavor of this filling is wonderful.  It's bright and not too sweet and truly captures the essence of raspberries.  As you would imagine, it makes a really good cake filling.  It's also a superb replacement for raspberry preserves in bar and thumbprint cookies.  I've put it on French toast and ice cream, too.  I'll be honest here, I've eaten it directly from the bowl.  I have not yet used it as a doughnut filling, but now that the idea has dawned on me, I think I'll have to.

You're not likely to find this kind of raspberry awesomeness in any secondhand store.  I'd be willing to bet, though, that it could put a smile on the face of even Mr. McGee (leisurely, do-nothing employees notwithstanding).   

Keep it sweet. Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment