Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Maple Mojo

For my final nod to the Great New York State Fair 2010, I'm going to offer an homage to all things maple.  In the Horticulture Building at the Fair, there is an entire corner booth devoted to it.  I like to go to there.

At the maple booth, you can buy the usual goodies:  maple syrup, maple candy, maple cream.  This is where I always buy my syrup because I'm partial to the darker "Grade B" variety that they say is "for cooking," but which I happily pour on my pancakes and waffles as well.  If you haven't tried it, you should.  Of course, if you swing the other way and want the lightest light amber, they have that too.

In addition to the traditional maple fare, the booth boasts a veritable plethora of tasty maple delights.  Maple sno-cones and ice cream are wonderful when the weather is warm; a maple cream doughnut with maple coffee is nice if it's nippy.  My absolute favorite, though, is the maple cotton candy.  Imagine all the fluffy fabulousness of cotton candy with the taste of pure maple...


Since you can't actually have any of this, I'll point you in the direction of something you can have.  This recipe for Maple Pecan Scones comes from Epicurious.com.  Not only are these the best maple scones I've had, they might just be the best scones I've had.  Ever.  I was dubious about the only maple flavor coming from extract, so I brush the tops with real maple syrup before baking.  I may also make maple butter to smear on them, but that's just me and I, as we've established, like to...

Keep it sweet.


 
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment