Sunday, August 22, 2010

Cobbled Together

It's the height of peach season here in the northeast.  They are the perfect balance of sweet and tart, so full of juice that it's impossible to eat one without some dribbling down your chin.  When the peaches are this perfect, my thoughts turn to cobbler.

If I'd gone to culinary school, I'd probably know the official difference between a crisp and a cobbler.  And a crumble.  And a betty.  Since I didn't go to culinary school, I rely on the bits and pieces of knowledge I've cobbled together. (Yes, I succumb to food puns.  So does Alton Brown, and look how far he's gotten.)  Between books, magazines, way too much food network, and culinarily-inclined friends and family, I manage.

Anyway.  Crisps and cobblers.  Generally, it seems, crisps employ a crumbly topping while cobblers rely on something from the dough family.  A recent trolling of recipes online has yielded an abundance of biscuit-topped variations.  Some look quite tasty.  Yet...

Maybe it's a Southern thing.  I grew up on peach cobbler.  Peach cobbler made by dumping a mess of sweetened peaches on top of a fairly runny batter that magically rises to the top during baking.  The resulting deliciousness is crispy on top and the perfect balance of dense and fluffy below.  It is sweet and buttery and peachy all over.  Is it a cobbler?  Well, I think so.  So does my Mamaw's Gonzales, Louisiana  Junior League Cookbook.  And that's good enough for me.


I made this one last night and plan to have it for breakfast, lunch, and dinner until it's gone.  If you're in town, feel free to stop by. We can sit out back with a big bowl and two spoons and you can help me...

Keep it sweet. Pin It

2 comments: