Friday, August 20, 2010

Triple Chocolate, Because Three is Better than Two

I used to be very intimidated when I'd hear chefs or cookbook authors talk about "writing recipes."  It seemed like a blend of science and magic that went beyond whatever culinary mojo I had.  When I started toying with the idea of opening a bakery, I knew I would need recipes that were both awesome and consistent.  Consistently awesome.  Awesomely consistent.

I began playing around with recipes I found online, in cookbooks, and on little cards in my grandmother's handwriting.  I baked, I ate, I fed others, I made notes.  I repeated.  As it turns out, the key to writing recipes is...writing.  I've always been a tweaker, but never bothered to commit the tweaks to paper.  Apparently, that's all it took.

As promised, here's the recipe for my (and Much Ado About Cake's) Triple Chocolate Cookies:

1 cup butter (I never use unsalted butter.  I'm not sure why, I just don't.)
1 cup brown sugar
1cup white sugar
1/2 cup natural cocoa powder
1/4 cup dutch process cocoa powder
2 eggs
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 cups flour
1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
1/2 cup milk chocolate chips
1/2 cup white chocolate chips

Cream butter and sugars.  Add cocoa powders and blend until fully incorporated.  Add eggs and vanilla and beat until light.  Add salt, soda, and flour and stir until combined.  Fold in chips.  Drop by rounded teaspoons or tablespoons onto parchment-lined pans and bake at 350 degrees--12 minutes for smaller cookies, 15 for larger.  (They will look doughy; this is okay.)

Now, if this is more than you want to tackle, feel free to hop on over to MuchAdoAboutCake.com to place an order.  I take PayPal, and I'll ship anywhere in the US.  Sadly, frosting not included.  (Although, if you're local, I could probably be talked into it.)  Either way, the cookies are fabulous and one of my favorite ways to...

Keep it sweet. Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment