Thursday, August 26, 2010

The Fashionable Baker

I have a confession.  I want to be Donna Reed.  Okay, I don't actually want to be Donna Reed.  What I want is to bake fabulous things and serve them to duly impressed house guests while wearing a dress, heels, and a frilly apron.  I suppose it's a domestic goddess thing.

I technically could orchestrate this, although I rarely bake without wearing a good bit of whatever I'm baking.  The fact of the matter is that I'd be certain to ruin a perfectly good dress with buttercream and I'm a lot less graceful in heels than I'd like to be.  For the most part, I've resigned myself to t-shirts, flip-flops, and (per the Onondaga County Health Department code requiring adequate head covering) bandannas.

But surely there is something more?  Some harmonious balance of functional and feminine, ratty and refined?  Yes! Yes, there is!  It is...

The cute apron.

I've always known about cute aprons.  I've seen them in shops.  I've browsed them on Etsy.  I've positively drooled over Jessie Steele's hostess line.  I'm particularly attached to Cherry Cupcakes and the Josephine Pink and Brown Polka Dot.  Yet, I own no cute aprons.  Well, that isn't entirely true.  I have one that has all the Loony Toons characters making a pie, a fun striped one from Williams Sonoma.  What I'm sorely lacking is a girly apron.

I think I'm stuck on the idea that I can make a cute apron.  They aren't terribly complicated; a couple of hours of work could easily yield something fabulous for half the price of buying one.  I could do it.  Aye, there's the rub!  Anytime I think I can do something, I have a hard time allowing or paying someone else to do it for me.  Considering my entire business is based on having people pay me to bake things they could theoretically bake themselves, perhaps it's time to get over it.

Looks like I have some shopping to do.  Good thing that's one of my preferred non-edible ways to...

Keep it sweet. Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment